Pokemon GO has become one of the most popular games in the world in a very short time and I am pretty sure that you love playing it and finding your favorite Pokemon. However, if you have difficulties logging in to your account and getting “Pokemon GO unable to authenticate” error, then we are going to help you solve it.
The game has been updated a lot of times and had undergone major changes to prevent people from using GPS spoofing to fake their location and capture stronger Pokemon. If you have been playing the game from the time it was released, then you would know that it doesn’t support rooted Android device and if you own one, then you won’t be able to download Pokemon GO APK and play it.
Apart from that, people are also facing “Unable to Authenticate” error in Pokemon Go and if you have faced it to, then here’s how you can fix it by following some simple steps.
Pokemon GO Unable to Authenticate Error
This error first appeared in the iOS version of the game and only to those users who were using Pokemon Trainer Club account to sign in to their Pokemon GO account. However, it also started appearing in Android devices as well and then later it appeared for those people who used Google account to login.
The steps to solve the error is pretty simple and if you are facing this issues, regardless of which phone you use and how you login, you can solve it!
Below, we have listed all the solutions to fix the authentication error in the game. By following the steps, you will be able to login to your Pokemon Go account and start capturing Pokemon once again.
How to Fix Pokemon GO Unable to Authenticate Error?
1. Check Server Status
Before you do anything else, you need to check if the game servers are up and running or are they facing downtime? You can do so by clicking on the below link and checking if the servers are running in your country or not.
If the game servers are down, then that might be the reason why you are unable to login to your account. In that case, all you have to do is wait till the servers are active again and the game should start.
However, if the servers are active and working properly and you are still facing the login error, then you will need to follow the below steps to fix the problem.
2. If You Use Google Account to Sign In
If you use your Google account to sign in and you are still facing the Pokemon GO unable to authenticate error, then follow the steps below:
- If you are using an older version of Pokemon GO, then uninstall it and then download the latest version and install it on your smartphone. You can download the latest version of the game from Google Play Store or iOS app store.
- Now, turn on the “Airplane Mode” on your phone.
- Launch Pokemon GO on your smartphone and wait for it to load completely.
- Keep your phone in Airplane mode only until you get to the login screen. You will also see a popup saying that you don’t have any Internet connectivity or GPS active on your phone. Ignore it and wait for the game to load!
- Once you see the login screen containing Google login option and PTC login option, turn off the Airplane Mode.
- Switch on the Internet connectivity on your device as well as the GPS location and wait for the error messages to disappear.
- Now, you can click on the Google button and login to your Pokemon GO account without any difficulties.
This is how you can fix the Pokemon GO unable to authenticate error on your smartphone when you use Google login to access your account.
3. If You Use PTC Account to Sign In
If you are using your Pokemon Trainer Club account to play the game and you are facing login issues, then you need to follow any of the below steps. If the Airplane mode method doesn’t work, then go for the below steps to solve the issue.
- The first thing that you need to do on your smartphone is clear the cache.
- Exit the game if it’s open on your device and then go to Settings > Apps and then select Pokemon GO.
- Now, clear the cache as well as the data from the game.
- Launch the app once again and it will ask you to grant the required permissions once again.
- Use your PTC login credentials to access your Pokemon GO account.
Force Reboot the App
If clearing the cache and the app data doesn’t do the trick, then try to force reboot the app to fix the unable to authenticate error. To do this:
- Go to Settings > Apps on your device.
- Choose Pokemon GO and then click on the Force Stop button.
Once you have done that, open the Pokemon GO game on your device and see if it solves the problem.
If none of the above methods are working in fixing the authentication error while you are trying to login using your PTC account, then you need to contact the Niantic support.
Write to them regarding the “Unable to Authenticate Pokemon GO” error and explain the login method you are using. You would most probably get a reply from them within the next 48 hours.
Check If You Are Banned
If you are unable to login to your Pokemon GO account, then you should check if you are banned or not. The Niantic company strictly monitors the game to prevent people from cheating using the bots and tools; so if you were using any such methods, then you are likely banned from the game.
Check your associated email account as Niantic sends an email regarding the ban to all the players who were banned from the game. If you see such an email in your inbox, then the reason is clear as to why you are unable to login.
Use Google Account
You can always use your Google account to login to Pokemon GO and get started with the game. However, you should note that if you were using PTC account to play the game before and you use Google account to sign in, then it will create a new Pokemon GO account for you and you will have to start from the beginning as all the data will be lost.
These are all the methods that you can use to solve the unable to authenticate error in Pokemon GO. The game is getting better as new updates are released and more events are coming to the game with new features. It’s also rumored that the Generation 2 Pokemon will also make their debut soon!
If you liked the article and you were able to fix the Pokemon GO unable to authenticate error on your device using the steps mentioned above, then do share it with your friends as well.