Internet Explorer 11 is the latest web browser from Microsoft for Windows computers, but those who use OS X on a Mac won’t be able to use it! However, if you want to download Internet Explorer for Mac, then there’s a an easy and effective way to do just that in a few steps. In this article, we will be seeing how you can use Internet Explorer 11 on a Mac.
Although the Internet Explorer is not officially available for Mac OS X, you can still use it using a free Internet service from Microsoft called Modern IE. Using this service, we can easily use Internet Explorer for Mac without any issues. If you are web developer or a web designer, you will find this method incredibly useful as you can test your websites and apps and see if they are running properly on the browser or not.
Whatever reason you might have to download and use Internet Explorer 11 on your Mac, we’ll show you just how to do it in the easiest way possible. It will be complete and latest version of IE11 and it works great.
Prerequisites for Running Internet Explorer 11 for Mac
- High-speed Internet access.
- A Microsoft account – @outlook or @hotmail. You can signup for an email account for free if you don’t have it.
- Download Microsoft Remote Desktop for Mac from the Mac App Store.
Once you have met the above requirements, you will be able to follow the below steps and complete the process to use Internet Explorer for Mac. The method will result in IE11 to run on any version of OS X – El Capitan, Mavericks Yosemite, Snow Leopard – which is compatible with Microsoft Remote Desktop.
Steps to Download Internet Explorer for Mac
- Go to Modern.ie website on your computer and subscribe to the free service.
- Pick the region that is closest to you to ensure the best performance and once you are done, you will receive an email saying “You can start using Remote IE right now!”.
- Now, open the Microsoft Remote Desktop app on your Mac that you downloaded a while ago.
- Click on the “Azure RemoteApp” in the top-right corner.
- Now, use your Microsoft account to login and then authenticate your email address and then accept the invitation to use Internet Explorer.
- Under the Internet Explorer option, double-click on the IE Tech Preview or select it and then click on the Start button.
- It will take a few minutes for IE11 to load on your Mac.
- Once it is open, you will see a familiar Windows UI on your Mac desktop along with the Internet Explorer 11.
That’s it! You are not ready to use the Internet Explorer for Mac just as you would use it on your Windows computer or laptop.
The best part is that the Internet Explorer 11 web browser will update itself whenever new versions are available, so each time you use the Microsoft Remote Desktop app to use the IE Tech Preview, the latest version will load automatically.
What You Can Do With Internet Explorer for Mac?
If you work on a larger screen or have a multiple screen setup, then you can launch the Web Inspection Tools in IE in a separate windows as well.
The only thing you need to take care of is that you will have to periodically renew the certificate by authenticating with Microsoft login which shouldn’t take more than a few minutes.
The Internet Explorer 11 on Mac works really great and is fast, fluid and responsive but depends on the Internet speed. It won’t work properly if you want to use it offline because we haven’t downloaded or installed Internet Explorer for Mac, but rather used the Microsoft Remote Desktop app to use it virtually.
So, whenever you want to run Internet Explorer on your Mac device, you simply need to go to Microsoft Remote Desktop App, go to the Azure section and launch the IE Tech Preview from there.
This is how you can use Internet Explorer for Mac using the Microsoft Remote Desktop app! If you liked this article then share it with your friends who you think will find the method useful.